Robert Aber, PhD & Betty Burrows, PhD
We Get It
We know that it can be very difficult to find the right counseling help. But, we want you to know that as committed professional psychologists our first priority is to be of benefit to those who seek our assistance. Both of us have many strengths as therapists, but we also know our limitations. If we don't have the clinical expertise you require, or if the therapy 'match' between us doesn't feel optimal, we will help you find the right psychologist (or other type of therapist) in the Chicago area to meet your needs. We want what's best for you.
Life Throws Curveballs
The ways you relate to others, the ways you feel about yourself, and the ways in which you think about the world around you can produce distress in many forms: depression, anxiety, anger, compulsion, isolation. But, changing these feelings and behaviors with the help of the right psychotherapy experience can make all the difference in bringing fulfillment and stability to your life.
If you are looking for a clinical psychologist with whom you can feel comfortable in therapy, who will provide guidance and insight but will also challenge you and support you to take the risks that lead to positive life changes, then please consider the following:
* We have the education, training, experience, and therapist skills required to provide individual psychotherapy and couples counseling of the highest quality.
* We make use of a wide variety of treatment techniques, including psychodynamic and cognitive behavioral therapy, to help you achieve your goals.
* We have excellent reputations within the community of mental health professionals & therapists in the Chicago area and,
* We each consider ourselves to be a professional psychologist of the highest ethical standards.
In short, we may be the right psychologists to help you feel better and understand yourself more deeply through the psychotherapy experience.
What We Do
We draw from modern psychotherapy approaches to help you understand and accept yourself more fully and change the thoughts, perceptions, and feelings that lead to distress.
With the help of a therapist, couples in marriage counseling can restore their intimacy and sense of connection, improve their communication and conflict resolution skills, and get unstuck from damaging, repetitive patterns.
Premarital counseling with an experienced therapist can help couples achieve a deeper understanding of each other and iron out differences in communication styles before their wedding day.
Are you experiencing any of these common reasons for seeking help from a therapist?
Anxiety & Fears
Impulse Control, Compulsions
Health & Medical Issues
Loss or Grief
Lack of Assertiveness
If so, then contact us today to get started in counseling with an experienced clinical psychologist - assuming, of course, that we are a good 'fit' for you --->
A Good Fit?
Finding a therapist and therapy approach that are a good 'fit' for you is of vital importance for getting what you need from treatment. Here are some suggestions to help you find the right therapy experience:
* Be an informed consumer. Learn about the qualifications and therapy approach of the therapists you are considering.
* Ask about important details: fee, insurance, scheduling, confidentiality, etc.
* Don't hesitate to meet with more than one therapist to gauge your comfort level.
* Be an active participant in your therapy: set goals, give feedback, push your therapist and yourself.
Have a look at this article for some research findings supporting the importance of a good match between therapist and client.